Physical therapy could help seniors maintain their independence, whether they are managing a long-term illness or want to develop their general health and mobility.
The aim of physical therapy is to help reinstate and improve functionality, reduce pain and increase mobility for an improved strength and healthy balance.
When people age they start to lose their flexibility, strength and frequently their balance, so keeping up the desired level of fitness becomes highly challenging. Loss of these functions can lead to a fall which can cause severe injury. Physical therapy usually helps improve these functions.
Osteoporosis is a progressive bone disease considered by a decrease in bone mass and density, can lead to an increased risk for fractures. It is often the cause of many falls. Physical therapy and a regular exercise program help control the effects of this condition.
Physical therapy is recommended in majority of cases after a hospital stay. Post hospitalisation therapy can cause severe consequences.
- Falls – When leaving hospital, majority are very weak and are more prone to falling.
- Infections – There needs to be constant active movement however if there is weakness which could have been improved with physical activity you are at a higher risk of developing pneumonia.
- Reduced Long Term Strength and Endurance – Throughout recovery, physical therapy can affect your strength and endurance level which you will have once your session is finished.
- Reduced Education – Physical therapy illustrates ways to complete activities of day to day living in an effective way to help progress physical and mental well-being in education.
- Increased Pain – If you do not physical therapy you are higher risk of your joints being stiff.
For seniors, physical therapy has many benefits such as achievement in strength and balance as well as gaining both. This delivers a renewed sense of confidence as well giving the seniors their independence which can help them with their day to day tasks.
A physical therapist can be very beneficial to work with as they can help with reducing pain, maintain a good life, improve strength, gain stability and reduce the risk of any further injuries.
Physiotherapy Services We Offer
Our clinic offers a wide range of treatments that are all recommended and tailored to everyone who comes and visits us. Our range of treatments complements the body and mind, helping to keep you pain and injury-free, delivering preventative measures to maintain your well-being and enhance your performance levels.
Our main aim is to restore your personal well-being so you can enjoy an active, healthy, and pain-free life. Click on any of the services to find out a little more about each treatment and understand if it might be right for you.