Elbow pain is very common which has a number of disorders which could be the cause. Elbow disorders could include arm muscles, elbow ligaments, tendons, and the bones in the arm. The treatments for elbow disorders depend on the fundamental cause such as:
- Lateral Epicondylitis – The common name for this condition Is ‘’tennis elbow’’
It affects the tendon on the outside of the elbow. The Symptoms for this can be pain or burning along the outside of the elbow. This can also cause problems with gripping. Plenty of rest, physiotherapy and the use of an elbow strap can reduce the pain.
- Osteoarthritis – This condition affects the cartilage, a type of connective tissue found in joints. Symptoms for this condition could be:
- Lots of pain
- Difficulty when bending the elbow
- a locking sensation in the elbow
- Lots of swelling
- Dislocation or fracture to the elbow – Dislocation can develop if a bone moves from its usual place. A fracture occurs when a bone cracks or breaks. Symptoms include:
- Changes to the elbow, such as swelling and discoloration
- inability to move the joint
A professional doctor is able to move the dislocated bone back into its place. The doctor would place the dislocated or fractured elbow in a splint or cast, whereas for the pain and swelling mediation would be prescribed.
- Ligament Strains and Sprains – Ligament complications can occur in any of the ligaments located in the elbow joint. This is due to trauma or from repeated stress. The symptoms for this condition include:
- joint instability
- difficulties with range of motion
There are various ways for treating Elbow disorders, depending on the elbow disorder and the symptoms which you experience. The majority of elbow disorders need conservative treatment. Surgery is the last option if the symptoms do not improve. Treatment options such as:
- Lots of Ice
- Plenty of rest
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Stimulating or immobilisation
- Elbow padding
Prevention of Elbow Disorders
There are many ways to prevent elbow disorders. The majority of elbow disorders are the result of overdoing something and an injury. You can prevent this by:
- using a fitted-sized grip on sports equipment
- using the right pressure on racquets
- warming up and stretching properly frequently
using elbow padding
Physiotherapy Services We Offer
Our clinic offers a wide range of treatments that are all recommended and tailored to everyone who comes and visits us. Our range of treatments complements the body and mind, helping to keep you pain and injury-free, delivering preventative measures to maintain your well-being and enhance your performance levels.
Our main aim is to restore your personal well-being so you can enjoy an active, healthy, and pain-free life. Click on any of the services to find out a little more about each treatment and understand if it might be right for you.