Here at Southgate Physio, our physiotherapists provide specialist treatment for a range of conditions associated with ageing, offering sessions in the clinic as well as home visits (within a 2 mile radius of the practice).
We can help with:
- Parkinsons disease
- Following surgery, fractures or hospital stays
- Strokes and other neurological conditions
You may be referred by a consultant, your GP, nurse, physiotherapist or occupational therapist.
Before you commence a treatment program you will have an initial assessment of 45 minutes. You may have a chaperone if you prefer.
You might be asked to remove some clothing so that the therapist can more accurately assess you. The therapist will ask you questions on what the problem is as well as any other medical conditions or medication so bring along a list of the medication you are currently taking.
The assessment may include:
- Functional activities
- Muscle strength
- Joint range of movement
After the assessment, the physiotherapist will discuss their judgement with you and you will both settle on some goals to work towards and agree on a treatment plan.
The treatment will include:
- Pain management (such as ice, heat, electrotherapy or acupuncture)
- Stair practice
- Exercise therapy for strengthening and balance or in a group
- Provision of walking aids (such as a walking frame/stick)
- Walking practice indoors and outdoors
- Advice on managing your condition
- Teaching relatives helping strategies or handling skills
What can I do to help myself?
Physiotherapy requires your participation and interactivity in order to manage and treat your condition. Your practitioner will advise you on how to help yourself, giving you information and an exercise program to do.